Nominations Open For 2023 Harford Historic Preservation Awards
HAVRE DE GRACE - The Harford County Historic Preservation Commission and the Department of Planning and Zoning are calling for nominations for the 2023 Harford Historic Preservation Awards.
The awards, first given out in 1995, honor individuals and projects that displayed excellence in preserving Harford County’s history.
“The annual Harford County Historic Preservation Awards are a great way to recognize those individuals and projects that help to preserve Harford County’s rich heritage for future generations,” County Executive Cassilly said.
Zero Havre de Grace businesses or residents received awards in 2021. However, in 2019, HDG projects won in three categories!
- Havre de Grace Opera House Rehabilitation/Adaptive Reuse Project - The Havre de Grace Arts Collective.
- Community Involvement – Bulle Rock Historical Society/ Alicia Menefee - In recognition for sharing the history of the people and places within the Bulle Rock Community.
- Grassroots Advocacy – The Havre de Grace Colored School Foundation - In recognition of saving the Havre de Colored School through outreach and community fundraising
Nominations for the 2023 awards may be made in the following four categories:
- Preservation Project Awards - Recognizes various Preservation, restoration, rehabilitation, and adaptive reuse projects in Harford County. These nominations may include projects of an archeological nature.
- Special Preservation Awards – Recognizes publications, exhibits, demonstrations, workshops, unique presentations, and stewardship and advocacy efforts that focus on the County’s historic architecture, archaeology, or cultural heritage.
- Local Government Preservation Awards – Recognizes projects and individuals at the local government level for efforts in Historic Preservation.
- Preservationist Honor Award – Recognizes individuals, museums, organizations, or businesses that have advanced the cause of historic Preservation in Harford County over a long period of time.
Nominated projects, publications, workshops, etc., must have been completed, published, or have occurred between January 1, 2021, and December 31, 2022. Nominations will be accepted until February 26, 2023.
More information and nomination packets can be found online here.