City Hall, Main Street and Patch, among others, were represented.
Susquehanna Hose Company
Wednesday, January 23, 2013
Saturday, January 19, 2013
The Susquehanna Hose Company's second annual Duck Dunk was held Saturday in Havre de Grace.
Add your photos to our slideshow! Check out the video here.
The Susquehanna Hose Company Duck Dunk was held Saturday at the Havre de Grace City Yacht Basin at Tydings Park.
About 30 brave souls plunged into the water Saturday at the second annual Susquehanna Hose Company Duck Dunk. At 10 a.m., the participants—who raised money to benefit the city's volunteer fire company—dunked into the City Yacht Basin at Tydings Park. Some dunkers plunged more than once, and many had a specific reason for dunking. Share your experience in the comments below. Stay with Patch for more from the Duck Dunk. ___ Have your own video or photos? Post them here.
Friday, January 11, 2013
The fire alarm drew the Susquehanna Hose Company to Congress Avenue Friday night.
Steam triggered a fire alarm Friday night on the 600 block of Congress Avenue, according to Susquehanna Hose Company Chief Scott Hurst. Firefighters were alerted that the alarm had gone off inside an apartment building near the Saint Patrick's campus in Havre de Grace at approximately 8:07 p.m. They arrived to find that equipment in the boiler room was malfunctioning, Hurst said. The equipment malfunction resulted in steam in the building and smoke in the boiler room, according to Hurst. Firefighters shut down the equipment and had the situation under control within five to 10 minutes, Hurst told Patch. By 9 p.m., all crews were clearing the scene, Hurst said, and the maintenance company was working on the issue. Hurst said there were no …
Sunday, December 30, 2012
The Susquehanna Hose Company was one of three crews responding to a blaze that began with a candle, according to the Maryland State Fire Marshal.
Four adults and a child were displaced after flames spread through their Aberdeen home Saturday night, the Maryland State Fire Marshal said. Nobody was injured in the Dec. 29 fire on the unit block of Defense Drive in Aberdeen, according to the fire marshal's report, which stated the Susquehanna Hose Company assisted two other crews in putting out the blaze. Just before 11 p.m. Saturday, a child discovered that an unattended candle had caused a fire in his bedroom and he told his grandmother, the reported stated. The grandmother and her brother tried to fan the flames with a blanket, but the fire and smoke grew so they left the house and alerted a neighbor, who called 911, the report stated. The child's parents, who also lived in the …
Friday, December 28, 2012
Duck Drop committee members gathered at Division 1 of the Susquehanna Hose Company to prepare for the event.
Thursday, December 27, 2012
The Susquehanna Hose Company is coordinating the Dec. 31 affair.
Several surprises are in store for those attending the Havre de Grace New Year's eve celebration, according to Ed Grainger, chair of the Duck Drop committee. One new twist: the artificial duck, which plunges from a Susquehanna Hose Company ladder truck to ring in 2013, will be pink. Grainger pitched the idea of a pink duck to the Hose Company, which coordinates the annual affair. “Personally, I’ve had some people I know—actually, everybody does, either a co-worker or a friend or a relative—who has had breast cancer and gone through treatment," Grainger said. "A friend of mine that lives up in Forest Hill went through quite a rough year and recently rang the bell and is cancer free,” Grainger said. "She inspired me to dedicate this year's …
Friday, December 21, 2012
Susquehanna Hose Company Chief Scott Hurst said that a power surge and HVAC malfunction drew firefighters to Havre de Grace Middle School Friday.
Havre de Grace Middle School was evacuated Friday morning after employees reported smelling a burning odor upon reporting to work, fire officials said. Susquehanna Hose Company Chief Scott Hurst told Patch that the smell wasn't from a fire. "We tracked it to the HVAC unit up on the roof," he explained. "There was no damage to the building, just some repairs to be made" to the systems affected. The Susquehanna Hose Company responded at approximately 6 a.m. on Dec. 21, according to Hurst, and found that the power surges that had been impacting businesses and some residences around Havre de Grace had affected the middle school. "Whenever you have winds that high, we always have issues with power lines and power surges," Hurst said. BGE …
Thursday, December 13, 2012
The fire took place before 5 a.m. in the 4000 block of U Way.
Approximately 50 firefighters were on the scene of a two-alarm fire early Thursday morning in Webster Village. Crews from Level, Aberdeen, Susquehanna Hose Company and Cecil County responded to the fire around 4:37 a.m. in the 4000 block of U Way, according to a post on the Harford County Fire & EMS Association Facebook and Twitter pages. First responders reported fire through the roof, and rescue procedures were underway at the time, the association said. No further details were available. Stay with Patch for updates.
Thursday, December 6, 2012
The fire call came at 2:41 p.m. Thursday afternoon on Revolution Street in Havre de Grace.
UPDATE 5:45 p.m.—Two people were hospitalized and six apartments deemed uninhabitable after a fire broke out at The Graw Thursday afternoon, according to first responders. Firefighters received a call from The Graw, a six-story apartment building on the 100 block of Revolution St., reporting a fire requiring rescue at 2:41 p.m., Susquehanna Hose Company Chief Scott Hurst told Patch. Firefighters arrived at 2:43 p.m. to find the blaze contained to one apartment on the second floor, said Hurst. A man was taken by ambulance to Harford Memorial Hospital in serious but stable condition, said Jeremy Mothershed, chief of the Havre de Grace Ambulance Corps. The patient, who had been in the apartment where the fire originated, was brought outside …