Thursday, May 2, 2013
The fire on Cooley Mill Road was reported Thursday morning.
The Maryland State Fire Marshal's Office is investigating a vehicle fire that broke out in Havre de Grace Thursday morning. A passerby reported that the 1998 Dodge Ram on the 100 block of Cooley Mill Road was on fire at 5:01 a.m. Thursday, according to a statement from the fire marshal's office. Nobody was in the vehicle at the time of the fire, the fire marshal's office reported. Approximately 10 firefighters from the Susquehanna Hose Company and Level Volunteer Fire Company put out the blaze within five minutes, according to the statement. The estimated damage to the vehicle was $2,500 and the loss of contents inside the truck was valued at $500, according to the report. The blaze originated in the engine compartment and the cause …
Friday, December 14, 2012
The Deputy State Fire Marshal's Office issued a statement Friday providing details about Thursday's fatal fire in Havre de Grace.
An 86-year-old man killed Thursday in a Webster Village house fire died from smoke inhalation and heat-related injuries, according to the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner. Around 4:37 a.m. Thursday, George Michael Scott, 86, was the only person inside the home on the 4100 block of U Way in Havre de Grace when a neighbor reported smoke and flames coming from the back of the house, Deputy State Fire Marshal spokesman Oliver Alkire said in a statement. More than 50 firefighters arrived to battle the blaze, which started in the second-floor bedroom where Scott was found, according to the statement. The Office of the Chief Medical Examiner completed an autopsy Friday that indicated smoke inhalation and thermal injuries caused his death, the…
Friday, December 7, 2012
A man was on oxygen and smoking when his chair caught fire, according to a statement from the Maryland Fire Marshal's Office.
A fire at The Graw apartments Thursday afternoon began when a man was smoking a cigarette while on oxygen, according to the State Fire Marshal. In a statement issued Friday, the Maryland State Fire Marshal said that the fire at 100 Revolution Street, which burned the man and caused thousands in damage, started with the resident smoking in his living room chair. A neighbor in the 66-unit apartment building reported the fire at 2:40 p.m. on Dec. 6, according to the statement. The Graw is a Section 8 building for elderly, handicapped or disabled individuals, its voicemail states. Before firefighters' arrival at 2:43 p.m., the man in the apartment, who has not been identified, was brought outside, Susquehanna Hose Company Chief Scott Hurst …
Monday, November 26, 2012
Officials are seeking information about the incident on Quaker Bottom Road.
Someone set fire to a driveway on Quaker Bottom Road in Havre de Grace last week, according to the Maryland State Fire Marshal. At 10:34 a.m. on Friday, Nov. 24, a neighbor discovered that an “ignitable liquid” was used to set fire to the driveway on the 200 block of Quaker Bottom Road, stated the fire marshal’s report. The fire reportedly caused $1,000 in damage. Anyone with information may call the State Fire Marshal’s Office at 410-836-4844.
Monday, November 12, 2012
The fire was reported just before 8 p.m. Monday in Havre de Grace.
Firefighters from Level and Havre de Grace put out a blaze on Gravel Hill Road Monday night in which chickens perished. No humans were injured, Level Volunteer Fire Company Chief Jeff Standiford said. Firefighters arrived at 7:58 p.m. to find a 20-by 20-foot "barn-type structure" in the 4100 block of Gravel Hill Road, "about half of it burned," Standiford said. The structure included a chicken coop and a shed, and "the chickens didn't make it," said the fire chief. Approximately 25 firefighters responded to the blaze, which Standiford said took ten minutes to extinguish. The fire marshal was en route to determine a cause as of 8:30 p.m. on Nov. 12, according to Standiford, who anticipated more details would be available Tuesday morning. …
Friday, October 26, 2012
The Susquehanna Hose Company had the fire under control within minutes.
One person was being evaluated Friday after a fire broke out in Grace Harbour, Susquehanna Hose Company Chief Scott Hurst said. The fire started in the kitchen of a condo on the 100 block of Bayland Drive and spread to the cabinets, Hurst said. Smoke alarms in the building alerted firefighters of the situation around 3 p.m. Friday, and it took the Hose Company less than five minutes to put it out, according to the chief. Hurst said that occupants of the building, including the person in the apartment at the time of the fire, evacuated before more than 20 firefighters arrived. As of 3:45 p.m., Hurst said the building was cleared for residents to return to their homes, except for the unit where the incident occurred. The condition of the …