Wednesday, December 5, 2012
A mother and three children were alerted to elevated carbon monoxide levels by a detector Wednesday.
A Havre de Grace mother and three children were unharmed after they were alerted to elevated carbon monoxide levels in their home early Wednesday morning, according to the fire chief. Susquehanna Hose Company Chief Scott Hurst said that a carbon monoxide detector located in the rental property on the 1000 block of Chesapeake Drive went off and crews were dispatched around 8 a.m. Wednesday. "They had a detector, which was great," Hurst said. "None of of them had to go to the hospital because the detector alerted them." Havre de Grace mandated carbon monoxide detectors in most city residences—including rental properties—in early 2011. "That's why we did this," Hurst said of the ordinance, which he co-wrote with city officials. Hurst said …
Monday, September 17, 2012
Susquehanna Hose Company Chief Scott Hurst outlines calls to Havre de Grace High School.
Monday, September 17, 2012
Susquehanna Hose Company Chief Scott Hurst sent this letter to all members of the Harford County Board of Education. A copy was submitted to Patch: ——— I am writing this letter to inform the Harford County Board of Education of the numerous issues the Susquehanna Hose Company has been faced with at the Havre de Grace High School. Over the course of the last three years, the Susquehanna Hose Company has experienced a spike in responses for natural gas leaks at the Havre de Grace High School. On every dispatch, our crews were faced with a natural gas leak, which required an evacuation of the building. On each of these calls, Susquehanna Hose Company crews investigated, located the source of the natural gas leak, and disabled the source of …
Sunday, January 29, 2012
An incident Sunday was the second in Havre de Grace in three days.
A carbon monoxide detector helped save a Havre de Grace family from a potential poisoning Sunday, emergency officials said. A detector alerted residents in a home in the 100 block of George Court Sunday, and Susquehanna Hose Company volunteers responded to find carbon monoxide levels at 100 parts per million, Hose Company Chief Scott Hurst told Patch Sunday evening. Only one person was home at the time of the incident. A carbon monoxide incident took place on the same block last year. The Hose Company responded to an incident Friday night that sent one Havre de Grace resident to Harford Memorial Hospital. Like Friday's incident, Sunday's carbon monoxide leak was due to a faulty stove. However, Sunday's incident left no injuries, Hurst said…
Friday, January 27, 2012
Carbon Monoxide levels in the Havre de Grace home were at 200 ppm Friday night.
A Havre de Grace woman was found unconscious Friday evening, shortly before emergency personnel determined there was a carbon monoxide leak in her home. The unconscious, middle-aged woman was transported to Harford Memorial Hospital. Her condition was unknown Friday night. Due to a faulty stove, carbon monoxide levels in the home were found to be at 200 parts per million (ppm), Susquehanna Hose Company Chief Scott Hurst told Patch. The Havre de Grace Ambulance Corps responded to a residence in the 200 block of Gracecroft Court around 6 p.m. Friday. After suspecting possible carbon monoxide poisoning, Ambulance Corps Chief Jeremy Mothershed requested the Hose Company to investigate. Hurst said initial investigations showed no signs of …