UPDATED (12:15 p.m.)—A malfunctioning furnace at the home of Harford County Executive David Craig caused a commotion but left no one injured Tuesday morning.
The furnace filled the basement with smoke in the home in the 400 block of Congress Avenue, said.
Hurst said a seven-man crew from the Susquehanna Hose Company was on the scene in less than two minutes just before 9 a.m. Tuesday. He said the crew ventilated the basement using a fan. The crew cleared the scene within 15 minutes of arrival.
Harford County spokesman Robert Thomas, speaking on behalf of Craig, said: "He is always appreciative of the work the Susquehanna Hose Company does serving their community and he is grateful for their very timely response to his home."
David and Melinda Craig bought the home, built in 1840, in 1989. The Craigs were not home at the time of the incident, Hurst said.