3 Siblings Killed in Bel Air Accident

Police responded to the scene of a serious accident in the Bel Air area late Monday night.


UPDATE (7:41 a.m. Tuesday)—A serious accident in the area of Wheel Road and Route 543 claimed the lives of three siblings Monday night.

David S. Bauguess, 29, Ashley M. Bauguess, 24, and Joseph M. Bauguess, 17, siblings who lived in the 1300 block of Marquis Court in Fallston, died in the crash while two other people were taken to a Baltimore hospital, according to Maryland State Police with the Bel Air Barrack.

The fatal crash happened around 10 p.m. when three vehicles crashed on Route 543 about half a mile south of Wheel Road.

The three Bauguesses were driving in a 2003 Chevrolet Cavalier registered to the sister, Ashley Bauguess, when the car crossed the double yellow line and sideswiped a 2010 Toyota sedan that was northbound on Route 543, according to state police.

Police are unsure who was driving the car at the time or why the car crossed the yellow line.

Troopers said they believe the force of the crash spun the car into the lane for northbound traffic and into the path of a 2007 Acura sedan.

The second impact split the Cavalier in two. Both David and Joseph Bauguess were ejected from the car while Ashley Bauguess, who was likely wearing a seatbelt, remained inside the car, according to police. All three were pronounced dead at the scene.

The occupants of the Acura, Ryan B. Cooper, 29, of the 100 block of Briarcliff Lane in Bel Air, and Sean P. O'Brien, 30, of the 3700 block of Wolf Trail Drive in Abingdon, were injured in the crash and taken by ambulance to Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center for treatment, according to state police.

The occupants of the Toyota, Hua Lin, 30, and Du Gi Lin, 34, both of the 300 block of S. Main St. in Bel Air, did not require medical treatment, police said.

The crash site covered about one-tenth of a mile on Route 543. Because the area of the crash was so large, Route 543 was closed to traffic for at least six hours and investigators worked through the night.

Two state police helicopters were dispatched to the scene, but while the first helicopter was landing, the crew felt a shudder and after landing, noticed two engines were on fire, according to a separate release from state police.

All patients were taken by ground transportation to the hospital. The second helicopter circled the area and helped light the scene and ensure no other victims had been ejected.

Crews are unsure why the helicopter's engines malfunctioned and caught fire.

Lori Chrest February 24, 2012 at 12:02 PM
It is past the light by Bloom's Broom. People are leaving condolences at the wrong farm. It is across from the Bloom at the guard rail. My prayers and thoughts for the Mom, Dad and all family.
EDWARD WEFELMEYER February 29, 2012 at 05:06 PM
Zackery McMillen April 18, 2012 at 09:55 PM
Just fyi, one of the State Troopers on scene was a New Jersey Paramedic and he went against the responding Paramedics word when it came to calling in the Tooper for a flyout.It was not the responding paramedics fault that the Trooper was called
uh huh yea ok April 18, 2012 at 10:01 PM
Just FYI, It wasnt the responding paramedics fault that the Trooper was called for a flyout. One of the State Troopers on scene was a New Jersey Paramedic and he went against the word of the responder and called for the helicopter.
Ahmad0001 December 18, 2012 at 05:53 AM
Thats terrible. I have a lot of realitives that live near there. http://www.onlinedatastoragesite.com/softwares/why-you-ought-to-consider-online-data-storage-back-up.html


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »