.

Seneca Avenue Fire Caused $60,000 in Damage

The Office of the State Fire Marshal said the gas furnace started the blaze.

100 block of Seneca Avenue, Havre de Grace. (Credit: Duane Christy)
100 block of Seneca Avenue, Havre de Grace. (Credit: Duane Christy)
A fire that caused $60,000 in damage to a Seneca Avenue home over the weekend was caused by the furnace, according to the Office of the State Fire Marshal.

At 11:19 a.m. Saturday, the owner of the one-story duplex in the 100 block of Seneca Avenue reported the fire, according to the fire marshal.

The blaze began when a gas furnace ignited combustibles, the report stated.

Fifty firefighters from the Susquehanna Hose Company, Aberdeen and Level brought the blaze, which originated in the hallway, under control within 30 minutes, the report said.

Susquehanna Hose Company Chief Scott Hurst told Patch crews rescued a dog. No other injuries were reported.

The blaze was ruled accidental, the fire marshal said. It caused $50,000 in damage to the structure, and $10,000 worth of items inside the home were lost as well, according to the report.

The smoke alarm inside the home was not working, according to the fire marshal.

Related: Dog Rescued from Seneca Avenue Blaze

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something