News Alert
Hazmat Team Responds to Overturned Vehicle in…

Chief: No Fire at Havre de Grace Middle School

Susquehanna Hose Company Chief Scott Hurst said that a power surge and HVAC malfunction drew firefighters to Havre de Grace Middle School Friday.

Havre de Grace Middle School was evacuated Friday morning after employees reported smelling a burning odor upon reporting to work, fire officials said.

Susquehanna Hose Company Chief Scott Hurst told Patch that the smell wasn't from a fire.

"We tracked it to the HVAC unit up on the roof," he explained. "There was no damage to the building, just some repairs to be made" to the systems affected.

The Susquehanna Hose Company responded at approximately 6 a.m. on Dec. 21, according to Hurst, and found that the power surges that had been impacting businesses and some residences around Havre de Grace had affected the middle school.

"Whenever you have winds that high, we always have issues with power lines and power surges," Hurst said.

BGE alerted customers Thursday that a weather system Friday and Saturday may cause outages. A gale warning was in effect Friday morning through Saturday, according to the National Weather Service.

Hurst said BGE and Harford County School personnel were on the scene Friday morning to address the situation.

"Half the buiding didn’t have power, the power was flickering on and off and there was a problem with the alarm system," Hurst said.

Havre de Grace Middle School students were dismissed at 9:15 a.m., and the school system said it was due to a mechanical failure whose origin was still being assessed late Friday morning.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »