Police Identify Man Killed at Maryland House After I-95 Chase

Police said the man was accelerating toward officers when he was shot.

Police said the chase took officers on and off Interstate 95 before ending at the Maryland House. (Credit: Elizabeth Janney)
Police said the chase took officers on and off Interstate 95 before ending at the Maryland House. (Credit: Elizabeth Janney)

The man killed by police Friday morning after leading law enforcement on a chase in Harford County has been identified, police said.

Rajsaun A. McCray, 29, was pronounced dead at the University of Maryland Shock Trauma Center Friday morning, according to Maryland State Police. McCray's last known address was in the 3600 block of Horner Place SE in Washington, D.C., police said.

The incident involving McCray began near an Aberdeen shopping center and ended in gunfire outside the Maryland House rest area off Interstate 95, police said.

Before 2:30 a.m. on Friday, security at the Aberdeen Target notified the Aberdeen Police Department of a burglary and provided suspect and vehicle descriptions, police said.

The vehicle was a Dodge Caliber with Maryland tags, according to the report.

Officer Jason Easton, a nine-year-veteran of the Aberdeen Police Department, pulled into the parking lot on Middleton Road and saw the suspect attempting to leave in the Dodge Caliber, police said. 

The suspect—later identified as McCray—hit the officer with the vehicle, injuring the policeman and disabling his patrol car, according to Maryland State Police.

The officer was taken to Harford Memorial Hospital, where he was treated for arm injuries and released, police said.

Other officers saw the suspect vehicle and tried to stop it, but McCray continued on in a pursuit that drew additional personnel from the Maryland State Police JFK Highway Barrack, according to a statement from police.

"The suspect drove north on I-95 and traveled on and off various exits," the statement said. "He eventually turned onto southbound I-95, driving at speeds up to 100 mph."

Approximately 5 miles north of the Maryland House travel plaza, state troopers used stop sticks that deflated the front passenger-side tire of the Dodge Caliber, police said. 

McCray continued on, taking the exit from southbound I-95 to the Maryland House and ramming several police cars as he got on the ramp, according to the report.

Police said McCray went off the side of the ramp and up an embankment, then turned his vehicle around toward police.

"Preliminary information indicates the suspect’s vehicle stopped momentarily, and troopers and officers exited their patrol cars to approach the suspect’s vehicle and take him into custody," police said.

"As they did, McCray accelerated his vehicle and drove directly toward the approaching police officers," according to a statement from police. "In fear for their lives and the lives of their fellow police officers, three state troopers and one Aberdeen officer fired their agency-issued pistols at the suspect."

First aid was provided to McCray, who was taken by Maryland State Police helicopter to shock trauma, where he was pronounced dead, police said.

The Aberdeen police officer and three troopers from the Maryland State Police JFK Highway Barrack who fired their weapons were placed on administrative leave, which is routine after police-involved shootings, according to the statement.

Police said the ramp from southbound I-95 to the Maryland House was closed until approximately noon on Friday.

Related: Aberdeen Police Chase Ends in Fatal Shooting at Maryland House


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »