One person was injured and a family is displaced after a Friday night fire in Cecil County consumed their home, according to the Maryland State Fire Marshal.
Ardell Williams, who lived in the home on the 800 block of East Old Philadelphia Road, sustained second-degree burns to his legs and lower torso and was flown to Bayview Medical Center for treatment, the fire marshal said in his report.
Williams was refilling the kerosene heater in his bedroom at 10:06 p.m. Friday when the heater flashed, burning him and igniting items in the bedroom, the report stated. The fire spread through the house, accelerated by the presence of a propane tank in the kitchen, the fire marshal said.
Paramedics from Cecil County and North East treated Williams for burns before the Maryland State Police helicopter arrived, according to Oliver Alkire, spokesman for the Maryland State Fire Marshal's Office.
Alkire said that Williams' wife Donna Wojcik was able to escape with the family dog.
Wojcik and her daughter, who was not at home during the fire, are being assisted by the Red Cross, Alkire said.
Firefighters battled the blaze for approximately 45 minutes before bringing it under control. Crews assisting with the effort came from North East, Rising Sun, Perryvillle, Singerly and Charlestown, the report said.
According to the Maryland State Fire Marshal, estimated damage to the home was $50,000 and its contents were valued at $25,000.
The fire marshal said there were no smoke alarms present in the home.
Looking for more Cecil County news? Find it on Patch.