Four adults and a child were displaced after flames spread through their Aberdeen home Saturday night, the Maryland State Fire Marshal said.
Nobody was injured in the Dec. 29 fire on the unit block of Defense Drive in Aberdeen, according to the fire marshal's report, which stated the Susquehanna Hose Company assisted two other crews in putting out the blaze.
Just before 11 p.m. Saturday, a child discovered that an unattended candle had caused a fire in his bedroom and he told his grandmother, the reported stated.
The grandmother and her brother tried to fan the flames with a blanket, but the fire and smoke grew so they left the house and alerted a neighbor, who called 911, the report stated.
The child's parents, who also lived in the residence, were not home at the time of the fire, which was reported at 10:53 p.m., according to the fire marshal.
The fire marshal said that the Susquehanna Hose Company, Aberdeen Fire Department and Aberdeen Proving Ground Fire and Emergency Services responded to the fire, which took 20 minutes to bring under control.
Firefighters from Havre de Grace arrived at 11:06 p.m. and made sure the fire had not spread after it was knocked out plus conducted a secondary search of the building to ensure all occupants had escaped to safety, according to a report from the Susquehanna Hose Company.
The fire marshal said there was $100,000 in structural damage and $25,000 in damage to the contents of the one-story Aberdeen duplex.