Greenway Farms Fire Confined to Ceiling, Fire Marshal Says

The fire on Mohegan Drive put itself out, the fire marshal said.

100 block of Mohegan Drive, Havre de Grace. (Credit: MapQuest)
100 block of Mohegan Drive, Havre de Grace. (Credit: MapQuest)
An electrical malfunction in a Greenway Farms townhouse drew firefighters from Harford and Cecil counties Thursday evening to investigate a fire that the Office of the Maryland State Fire Marshal said went out on its own.

The residents of the townhouse, located in the 100 block of Mohegan Drive, alerted authorities at 7:57 p.m. Thursday that there was smoke inside and the sprinkler had gone off, according to the report.

An electrical wire in the ceiling between the second and third floors had ignited, setting the nearby wood joists on fire and generating enough heat to melt the sprinkler, which put out the fire, the report stated.

Thirty firefighters—from the Susquehanna Hose Company, Community Fire Company of Perryville and Aberdeen—responded to the incident, according to the fire marshal.

The blaze caused $4,000 in damage, the report stated; there was $2,000 in structural damage and $2,000 worth of items inside were lost.

Because the fire was contained to the ceiling, in an area surrounded by drywall, the smoke alarm did not activate, the fire marshal said.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »