At 7:23 p.m. on Saturday, gas station patrons at 3940 Conowingo Rd. noticed a fire by the diesel fuel pump, the fire marshal's office reported Monday.
A malfunction in the underground wiring of the diesel pump caused the handle to ignite before the fire spread, according to the fire marshal.
Ryan Roddam, 21, who lived across the street from the Citgo, noticed the blaze and alerted employees, who activated the emergency shutoff system while he used a fire extinguisher to put out the fire, the report stated.
"His quick actions prevented further damage," the fire marshal's office said.