.

Cigarette Caused Chapel Road House Fire, Fire Marshal Says

The fire marshal reported the blaze caused $35,000 in damage.

Chapel Road fire on July 2, 2014. (Credit: Susquehanna Hose Company)
Chapel Road fire on July 2, 2014. (Credit: Susquehanna Hose Company)
The blaze at a Chapel Road home Wednesday in Havre de Grace was caused by a cigarette, the Office of the State Fire Marshal reported.

At 3:02 p.m. on Wednesday, a person at the residence in the 2000 block of Chapel Road discovered the fire, according to the report.

Fifty firefighters responded—from Susquehanna Hose Company, Level Volunteer Fire Company, Community Fire Company of Perryville and Aberdeen Fire Department— and had the blaze under control within 15 minutes, the fire marshal reported.

The homeowner was taken to Harford Memorial Hospital to be evaluated for a medical-related illness, according to the report.

The Red Cross was assisting the family that lived at the residence, which included the owner and two additional people, the fire marshal reported.

The fire caused $25,000 in structural damage, and it was estimated that $15,000 worth of items inside the home were lost, the report said.

According to the fire marshal, the blaze began around the back porch, where a cigarette had been discarded in a nearby wood pile.

Related: Firefighters Knock Chapel Road House Fire

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »