A portable generator in a Havre de Grace home started a fire that resulted in $100,00 in damage and the loss of two vehicles, the Maryland State Fire Marshal reported.
The owner of a two-story home in the 200 block of Canvasback Drive discovered the blaze Wednesday night after receiving a call from ADT, according to the report.
Approximately 15 minutes after the blaze broke out at 8:36 p.m., ADT notified the owner that there was smoke in the garage, and upon checking, she found heavy smoke, the fire marshal said.
According to the fire marshal's report, a portable gas generator—which the residents turned on in the garage after the home lost power earlier in the day—had malfunctioned.
The woman and her daughter left the home, and a neighbor tried to put out the fire with a fire extinguisher, according to the report.
Approximately 70 firefighters from the Susquehanna Hose Company, Level and Aberdeen responded, bringing the blaze under control in 10 minutes, the fire marshal said.
The fire left $50,000 in structural damage to the home, and items valued at $50,000 inside were lost as well, according to the report.
In addition, two vehicles which were parked in the driveway were considered a total loss; the fire marshal said they sustained "extensive damage."