A giant transformer will be transported from to Delta, PA over four days beginning Monday.
An oversized vehicle will haul the 481,000-pound object beginning Monday night and ending Thursday night, according to a statement from the State Highway Administration.
This is the seventh transformer to travel by land from Havre de Grace to Delta, PA. The combined weight of the transformer and its transporter is approximately 671,000 poounds, according to the State Highway Administration.
The convoy will travel sections of MD Route 155, MD Route 22, MD Route 136 and MD Route 165 at a rate of approximately 5 mph. Overnight staging areas have been pre-determined.
The trek will carry the 35-foot-by-28-foot transformer to the Peach Bottom Atomic Power Station.
To track the transport, you may call 717-456-4932 beginning at 9 a.m. on June 25, or follow Twitter updates @MDSHA.
The transport schedule and road closures, according to SHA, are as follows:
- 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. on June 26 » Single left-lane closures along northbound and southbound I-95 in the vicinity of the MD Route 155 interchange (Exit 89).
- 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. on June 26 » Road closures along MD Route 155 in Havre de Grace east of I-95, with temporary detour routes posted.
- 10 p.m. » Caravan enters MD Route 155 at Baker Road and proceeds west along MD Route 155 to the I-95 interchange.
- 10 p.m. » Ramp from westbound MD Route 155 to northbound I-95 closed. Ramp from southbound I-95 to westbound MD 155 closed. Temporary detour routes will be posted.
- 11:30 p.m. to midnight on June 25 » Caravan begins crossing all lanes and median of I-95 at the MD Route 155 interchange (Exit 89). MSP will slow traffic to a stop on I-95 to permit the convoy vehicles to cross the highway (approximately 15 minutes). After both transport vehicles have successfully traveled across all lanes of I-95, MSP will re-open travel lanes in stages to allow stopped I-95 traffic to proceed.
- Midnight to 5 a.m. on June 26 » Caravan proceeds from I-95 interchange west along MD Route 155 and will briefly travel one-tenth of a mile along MD Route 22 in Churchville to connect to northbound MD 136. The caravan will stop for the night along MD 136 south of the bridge over Deer Creek at 5 a.m.
- 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. on June 27 » The Deer Creek Bridge will be closed to all traffic, with temporary detour routes posted.
- 5 p.m. to 5 a.m. on June 27 » Caravan crosses the Deer Creek Bridge in daylight hours, stops until 10 p.m. and proceeds north along MD Route 136 overnight. The caravan will stop for the night along MD Route 136 south of the bridge over Broad Creek.
- 6 a.m. to 5 p.m. on June 28 » The Broad Creek Bridge will be closed to all traffic, with temporary detour routes posted.
- 5 p.m. to 5 a.m. on June 28 » Caravan crosses the Broad Creek Bridge in daylight hours, stops until 10 p.m. and proceeds north along MD Route 136 to northbound MD Route 165 overnight. The caravan will stop along MD Route 165 just south of the Maryland/Pennsylvania state line.
- 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. on June 29 » Caravan leaves Maryland and proceeds within Pennsylvania along PA 74 (Delta Road) to Broad Street Extended to Lay Road, ending the journey at Peach Bottom Atomic Power Station in Delta, Pa. Detour routes will be in effect in Pennsylvania.
Have photos of the transformer on the road? Add them to our community gallery.