Woman Treated For CO Poisoning
Carbon Monoxide levels in the Havre de Grace home were at 200 ppm Friday night.
A Havre de Grace woman was found unconscious Friday evening, shortly before emergency personnel determined there was a carbon monoxide leak in her home.
The unconscious, middle-aged woman was transported to Harford Memorial Hospital. Her condition was unknown Friday night.
The Havre de Grace Ambulance Corps responded to a residence in the 200 block of Gracecroft Court around 6 p.m. Friday. After suspecting possible carbon monoxide poisoning, Ambulance Corps Chief Jeremy Mothershed requested the Hose Company to investigate.
Hurst said initial investigations showed no signs of carbon monoxide, but extremely high readings were detected after turning on a stove in the home.
According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, “disorientation, unconsciousness, and death are possible” when subjected to sustained carbon monoxide levels of 150 to 200 ppm.
Hurst said the woman likely was exposed to the carbon monoxide for approximately 20 minutes.
A male in the residence, who was not in the immediate area of the leak, did not require treatment, Hurst said.
The Susquehanna Hose Company provided the family with carbon monoxide detectors.
Hurst said the home is just 12 years old, and that older homes are more likely to incur carbon monoxide leaks.
In February 2011, Havre de Grace passed an ordinance requiring all homes that utilize any fossil fuel-burning appliances to install carbon monoxide detectors. Many new homes are outfitted with combination smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
Residents in need of carbon monoxide detectors should contact the Susquehanna Hose Company by emailing freeCODetector@susquehanna5.com with a name, address and contact number, Hurst said. Residents may also contact Shyla Glassman at City Hall—410-939-1800.
Hurst told Patch there are approximately 150 carbon monoxide detectors available for residents.