First Friday: Pirates, Bull Riding ... Good Weather?
After a stormy first Friday in June, Havre de Grace hopes to find sunshine in July.
Havre de Grace vendors and businesses are hoping for good weather to celebrate first Friday this month after a torrential downpour, heavy winds and threatening thunder put a squash on last month's celebration.
July's First Friday will feature outdoor cafe seating, live music, bull riding and more as the party hits the streets in the downtown arts & entertainment district from 5 to 9 p.m.
- On the First Fridays Main Stage: Bay Grass (5 to 8 p.m.) and acoustic performer Jen Minor
- Mr. Pink and the Reservoir Dogs in the 100 block of Washington Street
- At the Coda on Franklin Street near Painted Lady, Just For Fun and Flicker Scents
- Chris Monaghan on St. John Street at Distinctive Decor
- Rob McManmon, who studies classical guitar and obo at the Eastmen School of Music, performs at Simply Grand on Franklin Street
Other entertainment includes Mr. Avail A Bull's Mechanical Bull Rides, snowballs and zumba on Washington Street, face painting at Rochambeau Plaza, the Corvette club on Franklin Street, carriage ride tours at La Banque De Fleuve and a roaming balloon artist from Nothin' Up My Sleeve Entertainment.
Check out some of the deals featured at local establishments, as highlighted by Havre de Grace Main Street:
- National Geographic photographer Lester Picker gallery
- Fairwind Farms Horse and Carriage Rides
- Maui Wowi Smoothies
- JoAnn S. Dawson, author of the acclaimed Lucky Foot Stable childrens' series
- Spend $20 dollars or more and receive a Pizzazz! frequent buyer card
The Tattered Barn
- Ten percent off on most items in the store on July 6
- First Friday special: party cheese pizza (18 slices) & 2 liter soda for $17.99; jumbo lump Maryland crab cake dinner served with salad and fries for $17.99
- Bruster's Ice Cream is sponsoring a Red Cross blood drive between 2 and 8 p.m. on July 17. Give a pint of blood and get a pint of ice cream. Give a quart, get a quart. Give a half gallon, get a transfusion.
- A drum circle, Zumba, dancing, and fire spitting. Stop inside and sign up for classes.
- Official launch of photographer James Craig's book, The Moon has been Eaten: Images from a Year on Easter Island from 6 to 9 p.m. The show will continue from noon to 6 p.m. on July 7.
- First Friday special: happy hour and buffet from 3-7 p.m., and live entertainment starting at 8 p.m. with Havre de Grace's own Chris Walters.
- Mark Boyle and the Boyler Makers in the "courtyard," weather permitting.
- First Friday special: Ten percent off a purchase.
- First Friday special: 10 percent off artwork and gifts with a $30 purchase. New artwork, jewelry and other items on display
- First Friday special: 20 to 30 percent off furniture and antique collectables
- First Friday special: 10 percent off on a limited Edition print of "Havre de Grace Wins the Woodward" by Bill Watson, signed and numbered by the artist, with certificate.
- July's First Friday marks the official opening of Glyph Art + Design. The store will feature cards, stationery, gifts, invitations and announcements.
- The opening exhibition features a large scale Witness show from Sargent + Thamm, a duo of a woodcut artist and screen printer, on the gallery wall. Patrick Sargent will demonstrate his carving technique and Glyph Creative Director Don Starr will give a hands-on letterpress demonstration.
- First Friday special: snow cones to raise money for Havre de Grace's 2013 Independence Day Celebration will be sold on the deck
- Artists Craig Mizeras and Kimie Ranken who will be introducing their new collaboration of up-cycled "ghost nets" pulled from the shores of Washington. For First Friday, 20 percent of the artists' sales will benefit The Chesapeake Bay Foundation.
- First Friday special: receive a free art sampler set with any purchase of $10. Artist Orion Nelson will be on hand to create your own Dragon Portrait for $20. The store is open from 11:30 to 7 p.m.
- First Friday Specials: $5 Watermelon Mojitos all day; Happy hour from noon to 7 p.m.; free gourmet buffet 4 to 7 p.m.; live music 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. No cover.
- St. John Street Café Seating: Crab cake & pulled pork sandwich specials, outdoor front bar section with beer specials beginning at 4 p.m.
TELL US: What are you looking forward to for July's First Friday celebration? Leave a comment.