Chicken Coop Catches Fire on Gravel Hill Road
The fire was reported just before 8 p.m. Monday in Havre de Grace.
Firefighters from Level and Havre de Grace put out a blaze on Gravel Hill Road Monday night in which chickens perished.
No humans were injured, Level Volunteer Fire Company Chief Jeff Standiford said.
Firefighters arrived at 7:58 p.m. to find a 20-by 20-foot "barn-type structure" in the 4100 block of Gravel Hill Road, "about half of it burned," Standiford said.
The structure included a chicken coop and a shed, and "the chickens didn't make it," said the fire chief.
Approximately 25 firefighters responded to the blaze, which Standiford said took ten minutes to extinguish.
The fire marshal was en route to determine a cause as of 8:30 p.m. on Nov. 12, according to Standiford, who anticipated more details would be available Tuesday morning.
WBAL-TV reported Tuesday morning that a fallen lamp inside the coop caused the fire, which resulted in $6,000 worth of damages.
This article was updated at 9:15 a.m. Tuesday to include additional information.