Two Hospitalized After Fire at The Graw Apartments
The fire call came at 2:41 p.m. Thursday afternoon on Revolution Street in Havre de Grace.
UPDATE 5:45 p.m.—Two people were hospitalized and six apartments deemed uninhabitable after a fire broke out at The Graw Thursday afternoon, according to first responders.
Firefighters received a call from The Graw, a six-story apartment building on the 100 block of Revolution St., reporting a fire requiring rescue at 2:41 p.m., Susquehanna Hose Company Chief Scott Hurst told Patch.
Firefighters arrived at 2:43 p.m. to find the blaze contained to one apartment on the second floor, said Hurst.
The patient, who had been in the apartment where the fire originated, was brought outside prior to firefighters' arrival, Hurst said.
A second patient was also taken to Harford Memorial, where she was listed in noncritical condition, Mothershed said.
Six apartments were condemned for the evening—four on the second floor and two on the first—due to smoke and water damage, said Hurst, who added that the sprinklers and fire alarms activated as a result of the fire.
The Susquehanna Hose Company, Level Volunteer Fire Company, Aberdeen Fire Department, Aberdeen Proving Ground Fire Department and Community Fire Company of Perryville assisted with the two-alarm fire, according to Hurst.
The fire was under control within 15 minutes, Hurst said. Most of the building was evacuated as firefighters put out the blaze, except for a few people who were not able to get out of their apartments; firefighters checked to ensure they were safe and according to Hurst, they weren't near the apartment where the fire originated.
Carbon monoxide levels inside The Graw were elevated when firefighters arrived and Hurst said they were down to safe levels within 20 minutes.
Residents were confined to the first floor as firefighters cleared the building. By 5 p.m., Hurst said that tenants were allowed to return upstairs.
The Maryland State Fire Marshal's Office is currently investigating the incident.
Harford County's Office of Emergency Management was on the scene assisting with lodging for tenants of the six condemned apartments Thursday afternoon and evening.
Havre de Grace Ambulance Corps dispatched its fire rehab team to assist as well in case of any medical emergencies stemming from the incident.
Original report from 3:29 p.m.
Multiple fire trucks responded to The Graw, a senior residence tower, Thursday afternoon in Havre de Grace.
The multiple-story apartment building is located in the 100 block of Revolution Street.
Fire crews from the Susquehanna Hose Company, Level, Aberdeen and Cecil County, as well as the Havre de Grace Ambulance Corps, were on the scene shortly after 2:30 p.m.
Susquehanna Hose Company Chief Scott Hurst was on the scene, but unavailable for comment. Further details were not immediately available. Reporter Michele Pavlisak contributed to this post.