Perryville Apartment Complex Fire Leaves $3K in Damage
The blaze was confined to a laundry room, according to the Maryland State Fire Marshal.
No one was injured in a fire Monday morning that started in a laundry room at Concord Apartments in Perryville, the Maryland State Fire Marshal said.
Before 5:30 a.m. Monday, crews from Perryville Volunteer Fire Department, the Susquehanna Hose Company and Perry Point Fire Department were called when a fire alarm activated on the 500 block of Concord Drive, according to a statement from the fire marshal.
A delivery person from the Cecil Whig discovered the fire that originated in the laundry room where the sprinklers and an alarm activated, the fire marshal said.
First responders evacuated residents, including an older woman confined to her bed, from the eight-unit building where the fire was reported, according to an official statement.
A sprinkler near the laundry room extinguished the fire, according to the report.
Sprinklers at Concord Apartments, which is a two-story, garden-style complex, were "a definitive factor in preventing a more tragic outcome during this fire," Maryland State Fire Marshal William E. Barnard said.
In January 2013, Maryland saw a "spike in fire-related deaths," according to the fire marshal's office, which reported that the fatalities were in homes not protected by sprinklers.
Investigators determined the Perryville fire resulted in $3,000 in damage and are still looking into the cause of the fire, officials said.